Julien Viet leads product development of eXo Platform’s flagship eXo Portal product on which the entire eXo product line is based. In June 2009, eXo Portal was merged with JBoss Portal to create GateIn, which Julien now co-leads. In this role, he is deeply involved in GateIn’s technical vision and plays a key role in product development and advanced R&D architecture prototyping.
Prior to eXo, Julien was an engineer at JBoss, where he founded the JBoss Portal project in 2004. In four years, Julien built an enterprise-class portal server with a team of only five developers. He started contributing to the JBoss project (application server) in 2002 and joined JBoss, Inc. two years later.
Julien is passionate about open source and active in standards groups. Julien is also an expert group member for several Java specifications, including Portlet 2.0 (JSR-286), Content Repository for Java Technology API 2.0 (JSR-283) and Portlet Bridge for JavaServer Faces (JSR-301). Julien holds an engineering degree from Institut National des Télécommunications, one of France’s top schools for engineering.
Open Source Involvement
I like Open Source Software and am/was a contributor of several projects
- CRaSH: The shell for the Java Platform.
- GateIn: Technical lead working mainly on the portal, portlet container.
- Reflext: A framework abstracting the various Java reflection API.
- Wikbook: A set of tools for producing Docbook documentation from wiki files and Java source code.
- JBoss Portal: Project founder and leader until August 2008.
- JBoss Application Server: Contributions to the project around 2002, mainly JMX and JNDI.
- Cargo: Minor patches (shared classpath feature).
- Spaz: Minor contributions to Spaz a nice Twitter client (URL rewriting feature, marked-as-read feature, dock icon badging).
One of the JUG leader of the Mars JUG
I spoke at the following conferences
- Devoxx France 2013 : CRaSH tools in action
- Devoxx World 2012 : CRaSH tools in action
- Devoxx France 2012 : quickie on CRaSH
- Advanced JCR Persistence in the GateIn Portal Framework at JUDCon in October 2010
- What's new and cool in Portlet 2.0 at JavaZone in September 2008
- What's new and cool in Portlet 2.0 at WebExpo Bern in March 2008
- Portlet Best Practices at Javaone in 2006
- JBoss Portal talk Javapolis in 2005
- JBoss World: I have been several times speaker at JBoss World
If you need to contact me
What I am doing
What I am coding